This is the blog’s Game Design Resource directory. I’m working on a better format for this right now, but I’d like to compile various game design links and resources for game designers. Whether you’re looking to make your first game, or an old hand looking for other resources and links that might help you out, I’m hoping that this will be a great place to start.
Game Design Advice
- How To Write a Free RPG series (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) by Rob Lang of the Free RPG Blog – Rob Lang goes through all the facets of the creation of a tabletop RPG in this exhaustive series on how to write a free rpg. While some of the information is specific to writing free games, there’s plenty of information here to go around for those who are looking to come up with a commercial venture. Definitely a must read for anyone looking to put together their own game. (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
- The 10 Commandments of Writing an RPG, by Tourq Stevens of the Stuffer’s Shack – Tourq goes through a list of good advice when it comes to writing an RPG. Very useful stuff to know and to apply when you’re already putting words to paper in hopes of creating the next big thing.
- Reality Refracted’s Game Design Articles by Anthony Laffan – Anthony’s blog entries on design takes some time off to study certain mechanics, giving neat little ideas that could inspire you in the game that you’re working on.
- Campaign-Mastery’s Game Design Articles – Campaign Mastery’s name isn’t undeserved. These articles take a very thorough approach to their topics. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of these.
- Intelligent Design Series by Loquacious – This interesting series tackles game design from the unique perspective of a game store owner! Definitely an interesting take on things, and well worth reading for research purposes.
- KORPG’s Game Design Articles cover more than just RPGs, but I feel that knowing how game design works in other game formats can come in handy as well. More info = Better.
- Evil Machinations volunteered their own Game Design Articles for the cause, do check them out!
Game Design Forums
- RPG.net Game Design & Development Forum – The big purple’s massive forum has been around for a while, and many amateur and professional game designers sound off in their Game Design & Development Forum for feedback and advice.
- 1000 Monkeys, 1000 Typewriters Forum – Home of the 24 hour rpg challenge, 1KM1KT is a crazy place that rewards crazy ideas. Lots of good feedback to be had from fellow game design enthusiasts who aren’t afraid to help.
Non-RPG Game Design
- The Online Dungeon Master also has a Making The Game series on making his card & dice game, “Chaos & Alchemy.” While not exactly an RPG, I’m sure there’s bound to be a lot of insights in these articles.
- Wolfgang Baur also suggested that The Kobold’s Guide to Board Games might come in handy for research as well, it has recently won the Origins Award, and it’s authors include Richard Garfield, Steve Jackson, Andrew Looney, Mike Selinker and others.