We kicked off the Mage: the Awakening Manila campaign last Saturday, and while I think that I was floundering at certain points, it wasn’t all that bad. I’m currently working on the Actual Play report recap of the session, but in the meantime, I think it might be best for me to start off by introducing the characters of my game so the Actual Play report will be easier to follow. All the player characters are part of a cabal of Guardians of the Veil operatives.
I’ll apologize for not being able to post all the character names at the time of posting, but I’ll make sure to come back and fix this post when I get them all.
- Silver Countess plays Rosa, an Obrimos army brat with a penchant for hand to hand combat and shameless Forces effects. Born as the youngest daughter of a military family, she spends most of time doing Charity work in remote provinces in the Philippines. While she isn’t in the military, her upbringing gave her plenty of time (and encouragement) to learn how to defend herself.
- Vicente plays Torre, another Obrimos focusing on Prime as a specialty, and has a mundane life as one of the lesser-known (and appreciated) members of the Philippine Football team, the Azkals. While not as famous as some of the other members of the team, Torre’s good looks and keen mind come in useful in weaving in and out of the strange influences and politics of Philippine showbiz and popular media.
- Maddie plays (insert name here) a Thyrsus forensics examiner working for the Philippine National Police. Aloof and decidedly stand-offish, her keen intellect and remarkable perception can often lead to remarkable breakthroughs when it comes to cases. As such she’s highly prized by the local police force.
- Heineken plays (insert name here) a Moros barangay captain, or local constable of Chinese descent. His familiarity with the street culture of the city makes him able to blend best in the crowd and take advantage of avenues of investigation that would not be accessible to the others. His focus on Death magic makes him uniquely suited to helping investigations along.
- Sheimaruen plays Mayari a Mastigos freelance programmer and researcher. She is a relatively new Mage, and has yet to discover some of the more disturbing aspects of magic. That said, her training as a warlock has kept her rather well versed in the versatility of Mind magic, and she’s not afraid to use it.
- Mappy plays Javier Armas, Shadowname: Crow an Acanthus hacker with a decidedly hipster counter-culture approach to his lifestyle. While often flippant and refuses to be serious, his hacking ability (augmented with the Fate arcana) gives him all the lucky breaks he needs to pull off the most complicated attempts at hacking with flair. Also, he has a familiar in the form of a cat that can hack, which he has affectionately named Keyboard Cat.
As you can see it’s a large group and they’ve pretty much covered nearly all the bases as far as the arcana go. As such, they’re a ridiculously capable group despite appearances. Tomorrow I should hopefully have finished with the Actual Play report for the first session, and will be posting it here as well.