One of the earliest relationships that mankind grows to understand is that of the relationship of objects and positioning. From building blocks, we understand that objects cannot exist in the same space. Through other childhood toys we discover that square pegs do not fit in round holes. I imagine then that it must be quite the revelation to a Mage that comes to understand the Space Arcanum that everything he knows is a lie.
To a Mage competent in the use of the Space Arcana, distance, measurements and position are all malleable. Furthermore relationships and correspondences of an object to another become clear. Emotional ties, sympathetic connections that bind a person or object to another can be perceived and traced, revealing formerly hidden associations between a man and his secrets.
In a way, Space is most like Matter in the sense that most people have an understanding of it, and can possibly imagine what it must be like to be able to bend, fold or otherwise mangle Space to their ends. Among the phenomena that fall under the purview of the Space arcanum are: conjuration, scrying, sympathy,teleportation and wards. The following is a general list of effects that a mage can pull of with varying degrees of mastery of the Space Arcana:
- Perceive and Analyze the connections between things, people and places
- Flawlessly track and object in his surroundings
- Perceive 360 degrees around himself
- Perceive Space Magic and Resonance
- Counter perceivable vulgar Space spells being cast
- Create a mental spatial map, intuitively understanding the position of everything around him relative to himself.
- Apportation, moving something to a remotely viewed location, or remove something from it.
- Grant another with the ability to perceive Space Magic and Resonance
- Form an armor out of Space magic
- Conceal his own sympathetic connections
- Follow through a nearby Spatial Doorway
- Ward an area, securing it from tampering via Space Magic
- Bestow another with armor from the Space arcanum
- Ban an area to prevent certain phenomena from entering
- Destroy Sympathetic connections
- Scry multiple locations simultaneously
- Forge new Sympathetic connections
- Create a Portal that the caster and others can use to move from one point to another without crossing the intervening space
- Punch, kick or stab someone from a distance
- Be in two places at the same time
- Create a Pocket Dimension
- Place an object into his Pocket Dimension
- Attune to another’s Portal
- Trap a being in Space, rendering them immobile
- Force multiple locations to exist in one place
- Conceal a location from others, making it nearly impossible to arrive at the concealed space unless allowed to
- Twist dimensional axes to create labyrinths and impossible spatial structures
- Shrink objects or beings (with Life or Matter)
- Force objects to exist in the same location and interact physically, causing severe damage
Usage & Tips
Space is a strange Arcanum in the sense that it actually starts off as purely informational at the early levels. Discovering connections, tracking people and objects, and scrying are all useful, if indirect means of getting the job done. Space, like Prime, is an Arcana that multiplies in functionality the moment it is combined with the other Arcana.
Long ranged attacks are the Space Arcana’s forte. Not just limited to gathering information, a Space Mage can take objects, teleport into other people’s homes when their guard is down or immobilize a target by suspending them in Space.
With the use of Mind, a Space mage becomes a true multi-tasker, capable of being in multiple places, performing tasks simultaneously.
Defense is also a forte of Space, as Ban and Ward are among the most reliable means for a mage to secure himself, and in an emergency, a skilled Space mage can jump into a pocket dimension to take a breather, reload, or escape an otherwise terminal situation like an explosion.
- Correspondence: The ability to discern connections between people, places and things is a surprisingly potent tool when it comes to investigations. A space mage viewing a crime scene, for example, can draw an initial list of suspects based on who is related to the crime scene, and by cross referencing with Time 1 or Mind 1, they can minnow this list down to a window of time, and emotion.
- Apportation: Being able to get an object you really need right now is remarkably useful. A Space mage, is a prepared mage, having an emergency kit hidden away at home, with items which have a strong sympathetic link to him so that he can apport it when he really needs it.
- Ban: Disallowing Phenomena from a defined area is a remarkably powerful ability. With Matter, they can disallow bullets, with Life, creatures or beings, with Death, ghosts. The list goes on and on.