At some idle time, fellow GM Rvelasco considered the idea of running a supers game. Ever the fan of the genre, I immediately came up with this concept. I don’t know which system he’ll use yet, so I didn’t stat him out. I’m pretty happy with the bio though, and so if anyone out there is looking to play a supers game and is drawing blanks on character concepts why not try this one on for size?
Name: John Hudson
Profession: Police Officer / Superhero
Quote: “You don’t want to do this.”
John Hudson was a man in the wrong place at the wrong time. In an ill-timed visit to his sister, Catherine, John caught her abusive and alcoholic husband with a knife and threatening Catherine. John tried to talk his brother-in-law down, but things fell apart, and John was assaulted. John’s powers manifested at this point, just as he threw a punch that sent his brother-in-law flying out the window of the eight story apartment, across the street and into the adjacent building, killing him instantly.
John surrendered to the police without a fight, but due to a legal technicality was convicted to spend his time in a prison made for supervillains. His family rallied to his support, trying to get lawyers to overturn his conviction and appeal his case. After five years in prison, John was finally declared to be innocent, and set free.
His time in prison was a spiritual gauntlet for John. But instead of hardening him, John found a different calling. He found a new perspective on life, seeing that for every crazy supervillain out there, far more of those who served time in prison were mostly people who felt that life gave them no other options but to turn to crime. He enrolled in a college to learn psychology and criminology, and went on to join the police force.
Today Officer John Hudson works for the police department as part of their Metahuman Crime Special Weapons and Tactics Unit, trained as a negotiator and as their resident “Brick.” When he’s not on the job, John works in inner city community centers, teaching and helping kids to show them that crime isn’t the answer to life’s difficulties.
John Hudson possesses superhuman strength, stamina and durability.
Officer Hudson is a trained negotiator, and is an excellent shot with most police firearms. His studies in criminal psychology and training as a police officer provide valuable insight in catching supervillains. John Hudson prefers to resort to hand-to-hand combat and suppression techniques to catch / detain / disarm his opponents, and will resort to his firearm only in extreme circumstances. Officer Hudson is also trained in defensive and offensive driving techniques to help him in getting to a crime scene.
- Police Officer / SWAT - This alone is a goldmine of hooks that the GM can use to insert the character in almost any situation.
- Formerly imprisoned with Supervillains – Meaning just as John is familiar with a host of super villains, many of them remember John’s face, and don’t take lightly to the fact that he’s now a cop.
- Catherine – John’s sister has issues, and tends to go for men who are abusive and controlling, this alone is fodder for character moments for John.
- Community Center – John takes his dedication to the poor and underprivileged seriously. Helping kids, stopping them from becoming gang members… inner city crime are all good hooks for John to get into as well.
- Law vs Vigilante – Sooner or later someone’s going to take the law into their own hands, and Hudson’s going to be there to stop them.