I’ve just been made aware of the fact that there are already four articles up on the L5R 4th Edition Designer Diaries, where Shawn Carman and crew start discussing 4th edition’s thought processes and philosophies of design. I always find Designer Diaries to be as interesting as rules previews since I like figuring out where the final rules and designer intent actually intersect.
As a big fan of the setting, I’m always interested in news of this, and I’ve already appropriated funds for buying a copy of the book. So far I like what I’ve been reading about it, the direction towards simpler mechanics is one that I support completely, as the 3rd edition of the game was practically a scavenger hunt for min-maxers. Going back to basics is also a plus, as it should be able to bring new players in line with what the Clans essentially were.
There’s a lot of things covered at the moment, and my only complaint is that the diaries are spaced so far apart. For those interested, here’s the schedule:
- January 8: The Anatomy of a New Edition
- January 20: The Philosophy of 4th Edition
- February 3: Correcting the Mistakes of the Past
- February 17: Timeline Neutrality and Finding the Clan Themes
- March 3: The “Feel” of Rokugan
- March 17: Designing Skills
- March 31: Designing Advantages & Disadvantages
- April 14: Designing Schools – Bushi
- April 28: Designing Schools – Courtier
- May 12: Designing Schools – Shugenja
- May 26: Designing Secondary Systems